One of my favorite go-to breakfasts that gives me tons of sustainable energy when I have a lot to do physically during the day is this super yummy acai smoothie bowl! I was first introduced to acai and its tasty berry flavor on my mission to Brazil seven years ago and life has never been the same.
Traditionally, acai bowls are drizzled in sweetened condensed milk (which is delicious for a more desserty twist) but I want to share my favorite secret ingredient that I learned from a restaurant owner in Brazil. She would crush up a crumbly Brazilian peanut butter candy called “pacocita” and sprinkle it on top of her famous acai bowls for a perfect combination of sweet and salty goodness. Hence my use of melted peanut butter and peanut butter granola as toppings for that same effect! It brings it all together with a boost of protein to keep me powered up for the day. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
YIELDS: 2 smoothie bowls (for 1 serving divide recipe in half)
- 16 ounces almond milk
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries and/or blackberries
- 1/4 cup frozen strawberries
- 1-2 tbsp acai powder by SunFood (or) 1 frozen acai pulp packet by Sambazon
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Sliced bananas, strawberries, and blueberries
- Dark Chocolate & Peanut Butter granola by Love Crunch
- Melt 2 tbsp peanut butter with 1 tsp coconut oil to drizzle on top
1. Add all smoothie ingredients in the order listed (beginning with almond milk first) to a blender and combine on high. Sometimes I find adding the frozen ingredients in one at a time helps to blend everything more easily. You can add more almond milk a tablespoon at a time if it needs more liquid to blend. The overall finished texture should be thicker than a normal smoothie to hold up under the toppings.
2. Pour smoothie into two bowls and add desired toppings. Any kind of granola is delicious to use but I prefer those with peanut butter, chocolate, or even freeze dried berries in it to combine nicely with the smoothie flavors.
Love & Light,