If you’re a fan of the traditional scents and tastes of the holidays, then this recipe is just for you. This wassail is my favorite balanced blend of sweet and spiced. It’s like Christmas in a cozy cup with plenty to share with your friends and family. Not to mention it’s super easy to make!
COOK TIME: 4-6 Hours | SERVINGS: 12-15
- 1 quart apple juice
- 1 quart pulp-free orange juice
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 granulated sugar (or monk fruit sugar substitute)
- 1 drop wild orange essential oil, optional
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
1. Pour the apple, orange, cranberry, and lemon juices into the slow cooker. Add the sugar, ground cinnamon, and essential oil (optional). Gently stir to combine.
2. Add the fresh cranberries and cinnamon sticks to the top. Pierce the orange slices with the whole cloves (see image for example) or securely tie the cloves in a small piece of cheesecloth with bakers twine and submerge in the the crock-pot.
3. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or overnight. Remove floating ingredients with a slotted spoon before serving, if desired.
Not only will slow cooking these ingredients make your kitchen smell delicious, this festive drink lasts for a few days in the fridge to extend the joy. As they say: love and joy come to you, and to you your wassail, too!
Cheers to you and yours,